Friday, August 27, 2010

The sun is starting to shine (not in the litteral sense at all)

So they were right when they said it is always raining here. It really is always raining. I have to wear a hoodie and jeans everyday! It's summer, but it's cold here. I even get chills through my jacket. But things are looking up. I feel much better today. I'm refreshed and while my nose is still runny and my cough is not good my emotions are better. I have not cried once today and while I will always miss home, I'm starting to settle in. I talked with one of my teachers today. He is the one in charge of all exchange students at my school. He has put me in his highest level english class with the other exchange student from australia to give his students real experience talking with someone who knows english very well. haha very well...only language i know. He will also tutor me in German, one on one i believe. His daughter is my age and she also knows english very well and is eager to meet me. Maybe she will help to teach me German? I don't know. I'm actually very excited for school to start. I want to make new friends and be around teenagers! My life is actually about to get very busy. There are lots of events planned for the next couple of weeks. There is a rotary party and many parties actually. Not the teenage kind. The birthday of my host father and the birthday of an old woman in the neighborhood and a neighborhood get together to bbq kind. They bbq here apparently. I also have an orientation done by rotex on sept 10 and 11th. Its a spend the night in a gym thing and ill need some money for it (mom and dad that last bit was for you), i believe 15 euro. maybe just a few more. All of this and school and I believe there is more, I've just forgotten. I've noticed a few things while here that I only just noticed today. First off, my host family has worn the same clothing for the past three days. Every day I've been here, they have been wearing the same clothing. I'm a bit thrown off by this. Then the guests that were over spent the night and they didn't change their clothes either. Am I the only one that thinks that is kinda...i don't want to say strange or weird ;)...just interesting. I can't do that. I'm changing lol. The other thing I've noticed is something in myself. Not anything deep. I've noticed deeper things about myself in the past few days, but this thing is more obvious. I'm talking differently. I make sounds I never made before. I almost have an accent, it's weird. My wording is different and everything I say in my head or read is now in an accented voice. My internal voice has an accent now!!!! Is that not the weirdest thing? I'm learning more German phrases by the day, but not near enough to consitute actually knowing the language at all. Just enough to say I don't know the language, but I know these few sentences. I'm working on my introductory sentences. They're easy, I just keep forgetting them. I can say yes, no, what?, please, thankyou, thankyou so much, your welcome, good, and ok all in conversation automatically. Everything else I have to think first. But I can read German now. I know how to pronouce most words while reading and that is what I call a good start. I really want to journal on paper for private usage along with this blog, but I don't know if I will have time. I have lots of things to do. Like read books, school, social, read bible, etc etc. It all takes time. My host brother did the sweetest thing today! he brought me blackberries from their yard :). They were yummy. I also met my host brother jonas today who is currently teaching english in tailand, over the computer. He's really nice and speaks superb english. He was like hey whats up? :) Probably because he went to canada for a year, as did Rebekkah. Well I have to go. Don't want to spend too much time on here.

2 comments:

  1. SO EXCITING to follow your journey. DOES YOUR HOST FAM STINK? WEaring the same close would drive me BATTY. LIKE EW! But that is obviously their culture! Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always thought you never changed your clothes here either. . . .

    ReplyDelete