Thursday, August 26, 2010

First few days

Well if you did not already hear over facebook, I'm in Germany. I got here at 7 in the morning German time on wednsday. We are 7 hours ahead in Germany from the united states so it was midnight at home. I could not sleep until that night, so I was up for over 28 hours straight. Unfortunately, I could not sleep on the plane. My host family is very nice. They treat me well, so I feel bad that I can't just turn on my happy switch. I'm having durastic mood swings. It is better now that I have slept, but still crazy. I'm what most people would call miserable, but not because I am in Germany. I really thought the pain in my mouth would be gone by now, but it hasn't. My host family has friends staying over tonight and we went out to eat. It was a nine course meal. Half way through my mouth started hurting so bad that I had to fight tears and eventually went to the bathroom and let it out. This pain is in addition to my sudden cold like symptoms, stuffy/runny nose, hurting throat, coughing, head aches, stomache aches, drainage, feeling like I'm gonna throw up. So this is why my experience here has not been wonderful so far. I'm really hoping that the first few days is the worst because just the thought of home brings me to tears and I have to stop myself or go to my room and hide it. Other times it all feels like no big deal. Germany is nothing like I thought it would be, but at the same time I was trying to expect the unexpected. The house I'm staying in is very tasteful. It's a modern style house with lots of levels, 7 in fact, and windows everywhere. There are even lots of motion sensor lights. My room is actually bigger than my one at home. It was a boy's room though so its filled with soccer things and posters and boy things. The only girly thing in sight is purple covers on my bed. I thought that it was just going to be my host brother and host parents, but my host sister is actually home until the middle of october. I'm very very grateful for that. She has been so helpful. Germany itself is very green. There are wonderful gardens and trees everywhere. The streets are all brick or stone mostly in this area. There is also horses everywhere. Like on every street in my neighborhood. All kinds of horses. There is also many castles in this region. I think they said there is like three hundred. Very old buildings. I can walk everywhere. I was going to use one of their bikes to get around, but it was too big because everyone here is much taller than me! So I walk. Everywhere. I swear I'm going to lose like 20 pounds cause I've probably walked 10 miles since I've gotten here. No exaggeration either. Theres like no fat people lol. And two times a day all I eat is bread and butter or cheese and meat. Anything else I've eaten is unrecognizable and I don't ask. It's good though. The sausage made me feel sick today though. They also drink tons of coffee. The only thing I've drank since I've been here is water. They carbonate their water so they fill up a special bottle from the tap of regular water just for me. The only exception is I had coke at dinner tonight because we went out. I also baked my first cake from scratch today with my host sister. She translated the directions and we made it together. The translation was it was just called apple cake. It was good. I also cut myself in the process by chopping apples. Oh well. My host sister put a bandaid on it and it wasn't brought up again. And before you ask, no I obviously don't speak German yet. I know very little. But I'll learn eventually. Most of the time I have no idea what everyone is saying because they don't use english unless they want me specifically to know what's going on. Or when addressing me. But every once in awhile I get some of it. Key words and hand motions (they use alot) and cognates. I've been reading my bible every night or when I get a chance. I find that it helps. The other thing that keeps me sane or makes me cry depending on the moment is that american music is played on the radio all the time. I was pretty surprised when the first song I heard on the radio in Germany was Justin Timberlake haha. And later when I heard workers listening to Jason Derulo singing Ridin solo and Taio Cruz singing Break Your heart in the kitchen. Oh and the thing about the radio, they do not edit apparently. All the american songs I can understand have every curse word no matter what it is. Eminem and Rhianna got all those f bombs played here. Maybe it's cause it is technically foreign music, or maybe because theres only four radio stations so they dont have the money to bleep or something. Idk. But it's 11:43 here so I have to go. We have breakfast all together every morning at eight. Good night until next time.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome! I totally wish I could be there and go to the Castles! You'll get through the pain. Jet lag is tough, but it will go away soon enough. Remember to use your manners! And as always, Wir lieben euch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool Tay-keep readin that Bible girl-God will get you through!

    ReplyDelete