Saturday, August 28, 2010

Fourth day

For some reason, today I thought it was sunday. I was under the impression I had school tomorrow until I asked if Benjamin would be home today from his archery competition and they said no. He would be home tomorrow. So I asked if he would be missing the first day of school. Once again no. It's sunday tomorrow. I guess I had a blonde moment. I have everything ready for school on monday then. Kristoff, the boy I met a few days ago, is going to help with my classes and the bus. My host family set this up. They keep mentioning him. Makes me think they're trying to hook us up or something. Weird. Yesterdays fireworks were wonderful! They were so pretty with loud music in the background. Alot was american :). There were soooo many people there. Everyone was dancing and talking and standing and drinking and having a good time. I finally saw a little bit of the party side of Germany and it makes me like it alot more than I already did. Tonight we had the neighborhood BBQ. It wasnt the same at all haha. Not that I expected it to be. But it was fun. There were lots of people and everyone was again drinking and eating and talking. I was offered beer alot. I didn't drink it. They mixed it with coke too. Gross. About half way through a whole bunch of younger guys came and sat at the table I was at. Probably because I was with Kristoff. They were nice lol. They talked to me alot, but mostly just the guy that sat in front of me. I don't remember his name. He was like 19 though or 20. And he was one of the oldest. The other oldest was about the same age. They were fun to talk to and listen to. Typical guys, but with more beer. They drank a ton. Plus a few shots. I took pictures of all the beer they were drinking. All the glasses. It was crazy. And they kept offering it to me, but I kept refusing. I was the only girl at the table. Go figure I would be the only girl at the table and finally get to hear how guys talk at their tables and it would be in Germany where I have no idea what they are saying. And they told Kristoff and the guy in front of me not to translate. Thats probably for the best lol. I laughed pretty hard when they started writing on each other in pen and one guy put a piece of meat in the other guys beer. Then they started putting random stuff from the table in the beer. Like a candle, candy bar still in its wrapper, a pen, etc. With a nice flower to go on top. I should have taken a picture of that. Oh well. They reminded me of a bunch of frat boys. The biggest one there and I think the youngest was my age. He was 16. Some of them were cute too lol. The first cute German boys I've seen. Too bad I wouldn't date a guy here. If not cause of the rotary, because some of them barely speak english! Gah! How come the cute ones never speak my language? lol. I'm also starting to notice people here that remind me of people at home. I met a German woman who was like the blonde German version of Mrs. Cindy McCoy. It was great. She doesn't speak any english though. But what she could get out, plus the way she dressed and her attitude reminded me of you! There were others, but I don't want to go into all of them. My host family parents are going to church tomorrow, but I don't think I will join them. As it turns out, there are only two types of churches here. Catholic and Protastant. They are the latter. I would rather study the bible and pray on my own time. Maybe later I will go once I speak German and do a little research. But for now, no.

2 comments:

  1. You should go to church with them and try it out. Protestant is just a braoder term for Christian, non Catholic. Just about all of your traditional US denonminations came from the protestant churches in Europe (Baptist, Methodist, Anglican, etc). It may be a little more formal that you are used to, but rich in tradition. You said you would be open to new experiences, so here is a chance to experience a church in German. Besides, the church is probably an important community social event. I am sure you will meet students from your school. Great chance to get to know more people.

    Let us know what it is like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Benjamin Franklin had reserved pews in two different churches because he knew how important it was to be seen in church :)

    ReplyDelete